Thursday, December 8, 2011

#Unity Girl's Guide to #Advent: The Candle of Preparation

#Unity Girl's Guide to #Advent: The Candle of Preparation

Living in Miami, its hard to get into a song like "Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas". There is no snow or snowman, no parkas or scarves with matching hats. Today the temp dropped to 60 and my kids kept telling me how cold they were (what have I done?). This week we light the 2nd candle in our advent wreath. This second candle is the candle of preparation. For some of us preparation is easy, because its starting to feel like Christmas. For others we need to make a specific effort.

In our house we are using an advent calendar to keep the advent of Christmas in our thoughts daily. We look forward to opening each square and doing the activity that it recommends. We know that every day we are getting closer to celebrating the birthday of our Brother and Perfect Example. How do you think the Wise Men prepared for their journey? How did Mary and Joseph prepare for the birth of the Messiah that would be their son? How can we prepare our hearts and minds each day as we enter the world, which may seem contrary to the teachings of Jesus.

Prepare your heart: I encourage you to "become like a little child" and do some fun activities. You can either do them with your kids, or with some friends.

Take action
: Make a Holiday treat for the Birds!

Prepare your Spirit: In preparation of the birth of Jesus, we are reminded of the amazing news that his birth brings:
 
"No longer will you have the sun for light by day, Nor for brightness will the moon give you light; But you will have the LORD for an everlasting light, And your God for your glory."

When I read this passage, here is what I understand. No matter what situation I am in, what challenge I am facing, what mountain I am trying to move, the outside world does not provide my guidance.

The world I live in is a reflection of the choices I have made in my past, not the reality of my future. So I don't look to the sun, I don't look to the moon. I look within. I look to that part of me connected with the Most High. That is the truth of my future, the light of my path.

For what I can see in my mind, through my faith in God, I can have, do and be. Don't let the world show you, let God light the path and you show the world.

Love,
UnityGirl

follow me @unitygirl

If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

Mother Teresa

No comments: